vendredi 30 août 2013

Everything you need to know to be a happier, more popular you !

"Popular"... Morceau de Nada Surf, sorti en 1996, cher à la plupart des trentenaires actuels.

Matthew Caws y déclame sur un ton ironique une sorte de "how to" (be popular) à l'attention des lycéennes américaines (niveau "High School", donc). Le thème parle au plus grand nombre. Sans compter que le contexte est familier ; les films et séries US sont passés par là et ont popularisé à travers toute la planète cette imagerie faite à base de pom pom girls, de footballers américains, de longues rangées de casiers, de cours interrompus par une sonnerie caractéristique, de tables en L, de bals de fin d'année, et de remises de diplôme (à l'Université), etc...

"Sorte de" how to, disais-je, sauf qu'extrait d'un livre réel, "Penny's Guide to Teen-age Charm and Popularity", écrit par une certaine Gloria Winters (actrice de série TV, populaire dans les années 50 et 60). Le livre est paru en 1964.

La couverture
(d'une réédition, j'imagine, mais je ne trouve pas l'info)

Three important rules for breaking up : Don't put off breaking up when you know you want to. Prolonging the situation only makes it worse. Tell him honestly, simply, kindly, but firmly. Don't make a big production, don't make up an elaborate story. This will help you avoid a big tear jerking scene. If you wanna date other people say so. Be prepared for the boy to feel hurt and rejected. Even if you've gone together for only a short time and haven't been too serious, there's still a feeling of rejection when someone says she prefers the company of others to your exclusive company. But if you're honest, and direct, and avoid making a flowery emotional speech when you break the news, the boy will respect you for your frankness and honestly. He'll appreciate the kind of straight forward manner in which you told him your decision, unless he's a real jerk or a cry baby, you'll remain friends.

I'm head of the class / I'm popular
I'm a quarter back / I'm popular
My mom says I'm a catch / I'm popular
I'm never last picked, I got a cheerleader chick

Being attractive is the most important thing there is. If you wanna catch the biggest fish in your pond, you have to be as attractive as possible. Make sure to keep your hair spotless and clean :
Wash it at least every two weeks, once every two weeks. And if you see Johnny football hero in the hall, tell him he played a great game, tell him you liked his article in the newspaper

I'm the party star / I'm popular
I've got my own car / I'm popular
I'll never get caught / I'm popular
I make football bets, I'm a teachers pet

I propose we support a one month limit on going steady. I think It will keep people more able to deal with weird situations and get to know more people. I think if you're ready to go out with Johnny, now's the time to tell him about your one month limit. He won't mind he'll appreciate your fresh look on dating, and once you've dated someone else you can date him again. I'm sure he'll like it. Everyone will appreciate it : "You're so novel, what a good idea !". You can keep your time to your self. You don't need date insurance. You can go out with whoever you want to : Every boy, every boy, in the whole world could be yours, if you'll just listen to my plan - THE TEENAGE GUIDE TO POPULARITY !

Nada Surf - Popular
High/Low (Elektra, 1996)





Sur Arise Therefore, on vérifie les infos. Si le livre n'est malheureusement pas consultable en ligne, j'ai pu afficher quelques passages sur Google Books, en recherchant des mots clefs.

Où l'on voit que certains passages sont reproduits fidèlement, et d'autres, adaptés

-



PS : Ouais, je sais, j'ai déjà publié ces paroles, juste après le concert parisien du groupe le 31 juillet 2010. Mais pas avec cet éclairage !

2 commentaires:

  1. Merci pour cet éclairage... et le clip que je n'avais jamais vu! Notons que Matthew Caws (le prof :) sort ce mois-ci le premier album de son nouveau projet : Minor Alps, avec la chanteuse Juliana Hatfield. Retrouvera-t-il un peu de son inspiration?

    RépondreSupprimer