samedi 31 décembre 2016

the Loneliest Night of the Year

It's the 31st of December
‘Round midnight, I suppose.
I’ve been drinking since September
And the time just kind of goes.
No party mood, just room for two;
Me all alone with my last beer.
New year’s eve’s the loneliest night of the year

Your leaving left a bitter taste-
Like lithium in a stream-
But I wouldn’t change you
For all the stolen Roman marble
In the British Museum.
All gone, it's lost. I'll count the cost:
One lonely night for every tear.
New year's eve's the loneliest night of the year

It had to be in winter
When the night lasts most of the day
I haven't smiled since summer
When I mistook the world for OK
Guess I'll spend another year that way

Now my only resolution
Is to stagger through this day
Somewhere Sinatra growls low
And a dog whistles ‘My Way’
The death knell strikes; it’s now midnight
And all so painfully clear;
New year's eve's the loneliest night of the year

Bonnie "Prince" Billy and Trembling Bells - New Year's Eve's the Loneliest Night of the Year
(Honest Jon's, 2010)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire